Oh boy, cannot even start with how tricky and difficult it is to deal with oily skin. And on on top of it, if your skin regulates even more oils than natural, it is only going to lead to more problems like clogged pores, blackheads and most importantly acne. Excess sebum production is the main cause of oily skin, besides many other external factors like hormones, stress, diet, climate, genes etc. It is not any disease that can be cured, but with proper diet and care you can keep it at bay. Skincare is equally important. With the right skincare products you can make your skin appear less oilier and more glowy. Lemme take you through the very simple skincare guide for oily skin people.
The ideal regimen is what suits you best. So keep experimenting, but do not harm your skin. That’s what I believe and follow. I personally deal with oily skin during summers, and all my teens I pretty much had oily skin which I didn’t even know at that point and never even applied anything on my skin (skincare horror). But when I got to know there’s a routine to be followed up for specific skin types, that’s where my skin came into place and went from 0-100. If I can, you can too. Luckily, for me I did not have to deal with ‘acne’, even though I had ocassional breakouts. But if you’re someone who has oily and acne-prone skin then you’ll first need a dermatologist. I highly suggest not to follow some random things and worsen your skin condition.
Since oily skin and acne condition go hand in hand, I’ll even be talking about acne here. Even though it’s a common misconception that oily skin looks moisturized on the outside, it is not what it is; oily skin too needs that right products to reduce the excess sebum production and shrink the large pores and keep it healthy.
- CLEANSE : Water based or gel based foaming cleansers are best suggested to cleanse the skin without making it too drying. Keep it mild. Acne prone skin people can use Salicylic acid or Tea tree based cleansers. Use a gentle cleansing balm as the first cleanse in the night routine; it removes makeup and dissolves all the dirt and impurities on the skin after a long tiring day.
- TONE : Use non-comedogenic and alcohol-free balancing toners. Calming toners/essences are best suggested. Green tea, Centella, Chamomile are some of the calming ingredients to look for in your toner. You can also use prescribed toners having Salicylic acid, Tea tree, Benzoyl peroxide etc.
- TREAT : Antioxidants, Vitamin C and BHA’s are the best ingredients. If suffering from sever acne, consult your dermatologist. Retinols/Retinoids with prescribed percentage is also recommended. Do not use active ingredients/acids on active acne; that can only worsen the situation.
- EYE CREAM : Don’t neglect that delicate eye area. Use a coffee based eye cream or eye serum for instant awakened look. It also helps with dark circles and puffy eyes.
- MOISTURIZER/ NIGHT CREAM : Lightweight and oil-free moisturizers are best suited for oily skin. If having acne issues, use prescribed creams as suggested. Look out for non-comedogenic ingredients. Moisturizer is a must-must step for oily skin as well; you want to seal in the moisture and keep your barrier protected. Use it day and night. Do not ever skip.
- SUNSCREEN : Zinc Oxide and Titanium oxide sunscreens, mostly gel based or lotion based are the best. You might also want to choose a matte sunscreen (avoiding silicones) if you think all the above steps are too much of layering and making you feel greasy, then the matte finish sunscreen will help out tame that extra grease.
- LIP BALM : Those lips need some extra TLC as well. Finish your routine with a tinted lip balm for the day look, and choose a thick buttery formula for the night for extra moisturization throughout the night so that you wake up to baby soft lips.
WEEKLY, mask with clays twice or thrice a week to pull out all impurities out of the pores. In case of chemical exfoliation, use 2% BHA’s. Teens can avoid chemical exfoliation and just stick to basic clay masking.
P.S. This is only a simple guide to build your skincare routine. Choosing the ingredients and products is purely dependent on the individual.
Hope you find this guide helpful. Lemme know your thoughts on it.